Friday 18 November 2011

Another one. The Dilemma.

Now for the interesting turn of events. The floods are still very bad here in Thailand, and Bangkok has been hit really hard. All the government buildings had been shut down so there was lots of trouble getting our ED visa papers, which was a problem for Mick and I because our newly extended visa's were going to run out in a week. We are from Canada so if we leave the country and come back we only get 15 extra days instead of the usual 30. We thought we would have our new visa papers by then so it wouldn't be a problem and the next time we left the country we could get our 1year ED visa. So that was causing us quite a bit of stress, we didn't know when we would get our papers and the cost of having to do 2 more visa runs now was quite substantial. It was a set back but not the end of the world. 
Then we got a call from the agency director here and he said he had a job for Mick and I, but we would be 40 km's a part in a really rural part of Thailand and we wouldn't enjoy it. Since we came here to teach and live together we didn't take the job. There were some...uhm...communication errors? and we got another call the next day saying that we just turned down the one job that had been guaranteed us. Another setback. Slightly larger than the first.
 Mick and I thought okay, well we have to go home, it's hard for us to find jobs because of our age and lack of experience, and without help from an agency we didn't have much hope. But! Thank goodness for my dad. He is the smartest person I know, great with people, rational, and just the tiny bit intimidating when he needs to be. Combine those qualities and you get a very persuasive person. He got in touch with the agency, and explained the dilemma we were in. Magic. The next day we got a job offer at a school in Bangkok, the offer even included Tanita so the three of us would all be able to teach at the same school. Yay! Problem solved. 
Except for not. For Mick, the job offer didn't appeal to him any more and he decided that he was going to go home.  I won't lie to you guys, everything looks all amazing and beautiful over here, life on the beach, travelling around, fun all the time. I mean it is, obviously it has been amazing, but since we came here to teach, we have had to deal with a lot of other stuff as well and it hasn't been easy. We have had a lot of unforseen problems and it has been hard to deal with them by ourselves. I think all that took a toll on Mick and this was the final straw. I think a seed was planted in Mick's heart when we talked about going home and it grew and grew so when we got offered jobs it was too big to shake it. Since I am being all honest, I was pretty homesick at that point and the thought of going home to winter and skiing and family and friends seemed pretty darn lovely so I completely understand why Mick would want to go back. How could I be mad at him for that? I couldn't. I didn't want him to do something if he wasn't going to be completely 100 percent happy doing it. It all happened really fast. We got to Bangkok, he booked a flight, and the next day he flew out. Saying goodbye sucked. Mick is pretty awesome in case you hadn't realized and I was going to miss him so much. You know how when people talk about travelling they talk about finding themselves and growing as a person? I think Mick grew more than he realized in this month in Thailand. I realized though. I saw him turn from an amazing guy, into an even more amazing guy. It is hard to explain the change I saw in him but it makes me so proud to see the new confidence and maturity and swagger that boy has. If you don't hang out with him very often...you should probably start. 


So now here I am. In Thailand still. Hanging out with Tanita. Still have my hopes set on teaching. I'm a little nervous though. Tanita's boyfriend is coming in less than a week and soon I will be on my own. I mean I'll still be with them all the time, but I will be staying on my own and looking for my own apartment and that's scary. It has been really weird here without Mick and it has made me think about home a lot so I have been pretty homesick lately.

 But I'm lucky. I have the most amazing family and friends...I live for the skype calls with my dad; who is always always smiling and reassuring and excited. He encourages me to go out and do as much stuff as I possibly can and every time I talk to him I get all excited about being in Thailand again. And the emails from my mom; the constant updates about Y and R, hearing about the funny things going on in the hospital, and the constant reminder that she is proud of me and she loves me and the reassurance that The Nest isn't the same without me. And my brother bear's ridiculous sense of humour always makes me smile when I open a message from him. It's like he is in the room with me, him and Alan ganging up on the baby. But he is doing amazing things at school and I am disgustingly proud of him. And I also have a very cool boy named David that I miss who talks to me every day, and sometimes nights, who always makes me smile and laugh and has made being so far away from home a heck of a lot easier. Although, it's hard to think that I wont get to see him until May. He even gives up studying to talk to me. But don't worry. I make sure he gets good grades. And I miss Jordan. My beautiful, interesting, and perfect Jordan. You've got a special place in my heart and you know why. And Jenna. Smart and motivated and so much fun, what's not to love? And Brenna. The biggest heart in the whole entire world, and independant, and I'm so proud of you. And Amy. You are like my own personal sunshine, and even though I have to share you with Vancouver, you are doing so great. There are so many other people I miss. Krew 92. And Morgan. I miss you everyday. Always. And Devin. And Fraser. And Mick now. 

So yeah, I get homesick, how could I not when I have such amazing people back in Canada? But I am so excited about the upcoming months. I still fall more in love with Thailand every day and I have met so many great people here that make being on my own seem like a piece of cake. I will start blogging more regularly and keep you guys updated. As of right now the area where my school is is still very much under water so the school opening date is set for December 6th. I don't think it will be pushed back any further but time will only tell. In the meantime Tanita and I have been researching places to help out with flood relief and have found a place where we can go and pack and distribute supply kits so we are going to go check that out tomorrow. If there were spelling mistakes in here please, please forgive me, I am wayyy too lazy to go back and edit this. It took me long enough to write. I apologize. Talk to y'all Later. 


Oh yeah. If you are looking for some cool blogs to read other than mine...I would get tired of listening to me too.... you should check some of these out. 








I find all of these blogs highly entertaining. Hopefully you do too!



No comments:

Post a Comment