Sunday 20 November 2011

Bangkokable

It's me again! You guys tired of reading my blog yet? Yeah well deal with it. But I forgot about a few things that I should have blogged about. Like the last night Mick was here. We had heard about a festival a few blocks away happening that night, so we got all dressed up, went out for a nice dinner then headed over to check out the festival. 




The festival included lighting lanterns and sending them into the air, and decorating boats with flowers and incense and sending them out in the water as an offering. The boats were really beautiful so obviously I wanted to send one of my own out.


We met some university students who has just made their own boats and they gave my all their left over incense. Clearly the logical thing to do was put all of it on my boat. There was so many that i had to sacrifice a hair elastic to keep them all together. So worth it. When I lit it up all the Thai around us were laughing because the flame was really big. I think they were impressed...





It was a great night and a nice way to send Mick off. 


Alright back to the present.  Since Tanita and I are just hanging out in Bangkok right now I thought there wouldn't be anything really to blog about and I would get a well deserved break after all that crazy updating. But Bangkok has surprised me. We went for a walk outside our hotel and decided to wander over to a park we had caught a glimpse of earlier. On our way me met the cutest Thai man ever! Before I came here I heard that Thai people are the nicest people ever...unfortunately we have found that isn't actually the case. We are getting the vibe that they don't really like Farang. (westerners) But this man was so nice! After he finished laughing at us for trying to climb over a barrier and run across a busy highway he showed us the proper way to get to the park and we had a nice conversation with him about the floods, and his pregnant wife who he was waiting for. It warmed my heart a little bit. 

So we finally got to the park, and were very excited to see grass! It sounds silly but it is not a common thing you see much of in a city like Bangkok. We were slightly disappointed to learn that the grass wasn't all that soft and it actually hurt more than felt nice, but still, we were excited. I stopped to casually play some soccer with a few members of the Thai army, then we made our way to the middle of the park where we settled down to watch the sun set over the Grand Palace. There was a nice breeze, some kids were flying a kite, and we played "Three Things", a game that kept the quad entertained over the summer where you have to choose three things you would live with for the rest of your life. It was a nice moment, just a little reminder that life is good. 







Hopefully nothing exciting happens to me in the next couple of days so I can give you a break from reading this thing. Lot's of love from across the world. Hope you are all enjoying the cold weather...it's 33 and sunny here....awkward....

2 comments:

  1. i'm loving that your blog posts mesh with my nocturnal lifestyle.

    and i think you would be fun to travel with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jeffy. I love that your blog posts always have cool things to read or watch. Or nice pictures of your mustache.

    ReplyDelete