Thursday 1 December 2011

Extra! Extra!....you know the rest




Hahaha GET IT??? Couldn't have sung it any better myself Diddy-Dirty money. For those of you who don't understand my astonishingly witty way of breaking the news/people who don't creep my facebook page daily...I'm coming home. Flight is booked. I will be flying out of the Bangkok airport on the 21st of December, travelling an entire day, and arriving in Calgary on the 21st of December. Confused? Let me put it like this. I'm travelling back in time. Wooooooo. Magic. Since I updated my facebook status I have had so many people sending me messages showing their support and I just wanted to thank everyone. It means so much knowing you all care and I can't wait to see all of you! But I know you are curious about what changed my mind so let me explain.

You know how everyone makes jokes about 'Fernie Time', where nothing happens when it's supposed to and being 15 minutes late is considered on time? Well the Thai's have the same kind of mentality...only multiply Fernie Time by four. Since the flooding situation there has been a severe lack of communication over here, I suspect the communication is always lacking, but the floods have amplified it. Two weeks ago we FINALLY met with Khun Maew, the director of the agency who placed us with our school. She told Tanita and I that the water in our area was still really high and the school's had delayed their opening until the 6th. That wasn't ideal but I definitely understood. Then we were told that in a week we would be contacted again so we could sign our contracts and they would help us find accommodation so we could get settled instead of living out of hotels. A week went by and we hadn't heard anything but we kept in mind Thailand Time and gave them a few more days. Then we started hearing from other teachers and on the news that schools where the water was still really bad would be opening the 13th of December, if at all this semester. We tried calling the agency to find out information on all this but we couldn't get a hold of them for three days. It was at that point that I had deja vu. I found myself thinking about home and getting away from all the stress and uncertainty and being back with my family and friends and most importantly snow. The last time this happened was when Mick decided to head home and I shook the feeling of home to wait out the floods. This time it wasn't so easy. Unfortunately due to the situation Thailand is in nobody has any sort of control over things and can't provide me with the information I feel I need to be confident in staying here. It's as simple as that.

Now don't feel bad for me! Sure things haven't worked out the way I have wanted or planned but everything happens for a reason and I have absolutely no regrets in coming here. I have had an incredible trip, met so many interesting and beautiful people, and it has helped me decide what I want to do in the future; near and distant. The things I have seen and learned will stay with me forever and created a desire for travel that I can't wait to satisfy over my lifetime. So I don't want any of you telling me you're sorry that things didn't work out because I can assure you that they worked out just fine for me. And how can I complain? This is going to be the greatest Christmas of my life, I can feel it in my bones. This will be the first Christmas in as long as I can remember where I will be in my own house for more than 5 days! I have no training to worry about, I get to ski fully clothed, and I get to rip up the greatest mountain in the world. All of my friends will be back in town, which will be especially great this year because they will all get to come out and celebrate my 19th birthday with me...a luxury I haven't had in LONG time. My mom, dad AND brother are all going to be together for a whole entire week...I regret to say it has also been a long time since this has happened. I am going to start coaching with the Fernie team, so basically I get paid to do my favourite thing ever. Yep. I don't want to hear any 'sorry's coming out of your guys mouths.


You may be thinking, 'Oh no! Is this it?? Is this the end of this super awesome and entertaining blog as we know it?? (my words, I haven't actually heard anyone refer to it as that) But don't worry. The answer is no. After all, I have 3 more weeks of fun in Thailand and after that I can assure you my life will still be full of funny things I will want to share with you so you can keep tuning in if you'd like.

Alright. I've got lots of really important things to go do.....

Not. But I would like to remind you to watch live timing/turn on your TV to the Lake Louise world cup where TWO members of Krew 92 will be making their world cup debuts. The incredible Sarah Freeman will be shredding the downhill course like she was born to do it and the beautiful, bodacious Bud (boom, alliteration) will be sticking on her super-g boards to show those world cup ladies what's up. They have been working long and hard for this opportunity, harder than you probably can imagine, so make sure you throw them a congratulations when you get the chance. As for me, you two are amazing and I'm so luck to have you in my Krew ;) I expect great things from the both of you and I know you won't disappoint.

OKAY BYE ALREADY


p.s <3

No comments:

Post a Comment